Board index
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Whaddaya say we make this interesting...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm 
LHS Owner/Employee

Here's a thought... I realize that the "rewards penalty" is a part of the Spec Class rules, but what if we were to twist it a little bit... Instead of slowing down the leader by taking teeth from the pinion, why don't we do the opposite and INCREASE the # of teeth on the other competitors' pinions to bring them up to speed???

Just a thought... :wink:

Post subject:
Team Founder/Forum Administrator

While that initially sounds good here is the flip of that...now one person needs to get a new pinion gear....where as with that rule change 26 people (potentially) would have to get a new pinion gear, while the local hobby shops probably love the idea, I don't think it would fly :) :beer:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:

Speaking of the rewards penalty, I was thinking that perhaps this year - two won races, whether in a row or not, would incur the penalty. The reason I think this is a good idea is:

In two years of spec class, we've NEVER used the penalty
It makes it harder to avoid the penalty by "throwing" a race

Post subject:

Uh, actually we have, I lost a tooth season one in Beetle Cup, I won the first two races.... :)

And it did make a difference, I still won, but it did make it more challenging :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
Team Driver

Did Russ ever win two in a row? Is that what happened to his losing a tooth? :P

Oh, different tooth! :shock:

Post subject:

Ouch!!!!! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: If the rest of the field shouldn't have to buy a pinion...
LHS Owner/Employee

Why don't we vote on some of the proposed amendments? As far as the "nobody wants to buy another pinion gear" reasoning goes, $4 is a trivial expense. Using that reasoning, why should ANY competitor be forced into buying a gear; winner, loser or otherwise... If the emphasis is on keeping people from having to buy other parts to compete, I'd vote for abolishing the penalty altogether and forcing the rest of the field to step up. I have volunteered info online for all to see, and will continue to do so.

Any racer that would quibble over a $4 pinion gear that would provide an advantage is, IMHO, full of (insert 4 letter word for "something brown and smelly" HERE.) We spend twice that to enter the event, and some of us spend $4 or more to simply get to the event.

Post subject: Re: If the rest of the field shouldn't have to buy a pinion.

[quote="oeoeo24":2fz9yjgk]Why don't we vote on some of the proposed amendments? As far as the "nobody wants to buy another pinion gear" reasoning goes, $4 is a trivial expense. Using that reasoning, why should ANY competitor be forced into buying a gear; winner, loser or otherwise... If the emphasis is on keeping people from having to buy other parts to compete, I'd vote for abolishing the penalty altogether and forcing the rest of the field to step up. I have volunteered info online for all to see, and will continue to do so.

Any racer that would quibble over a $4 pinion gear that would provide an advantage is, IMHO, full of (insert 4 letter word for "something brown and smelly" HERE.) We spend twice that to enter the event, and some of us spend $4 or more to simply get to the event.[/quote:2fz9yjgk]

Good points, but the original idea behind the penalty was based on full scale racing...they "punish" the stronger cars in order to make the field as even as possible...Some of the series go as far as to aid, the back runners (which in this case would be me :-P based on round 2 points) to give them less weight to carry...Adding weight to an electric car is pointless since weight doesn't bother them all that much, so the next logical idea was to slow down the fast car in the same sense....

Yea overall $4 is rather trivial - especially when any driver can ask around to borrow a pinion...but the point should be to lower one car's level to the rest of the field...At least that was my idea in the beginning....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:

instead of changing the gearing just start the person(s) later or make them start a half lap back and make them catch up. another way would be to deduct a lap from there total at the end of the race. i know 1 lap doesnt seem like much to someone that finishes 2 or more laps ahead of everybody but it does male a difference. just my cent and a half

Post subject:
LHS Owner/Employee

Actually KayBo got my point exactly. Instead of penalizing the faster cars (since weight won't really make much of a difference) why don't we strengthen the slower cars? I truly believe it's an oxymoron to make racing more interesting by slowing the overall pace of the field. It's taking the "race" out of "racing." I think by bringing the rest of the field up to speed we will yield better, more competitive drivers when it comes time for them to move onto the more powerful cars should they so desire.

Which, by the way, is the whole reason I'm participating in this class to begin with. :wink: