Board index
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: MOTOR SPRINGS...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm 
Team Founder/Forum Administrator

Ok, it has been brought to our intention that the spec motors are shipping with a different spring then the silver, also I now know Trinity makes another silver spring which is identical in look to the silver spring that comes on the street spec motor...

With these two things we are contemplating one of two things...

#1. goto open springs on the motors...
#2. We purchase 100 springs and hand them out and they will be dipped in a color that will signify them as ours....

Either way you will still be able to mess with the spring tension as you see fit...

Please chime in with your thoughts / concerns...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:

I like the open spring idea (if I could have my way). Although that does take away from spec. But you know me, I'll go with whatever the consensus is. I just wanna' race :D :D :D!!!

D...

Post subject:
LHS Owner/Employee

I can state my preference in two words:

[color=red:1tzghyov][size=200:1tzghyov]OPEN SPRINGS!!!!!![/color:1tzghyov][/size:1tzghyov]

Post subject:

No Barry, tell us how you really feel :D.

D...

Post subject:

[quote="oeoeo24":wjltdfd7]I can state my preference in two words:

[color=red:wjltdfd7][size=200:wjltdfd7]OPEN SPRINGS!!!!!![/color:wjltdfd7][/size:wjltdfd7][/quote:wjltdfd7]

I second oeoeoeoeo23's suggestion on this matter. But, this time I must admit it is for a somewhat selfish reason, I already have a selection of springs. However, open springs will make it easier on the tech people and on the racers since obtaining the legal springs will not be an issue. No one will have to purchase 100 springs, then colorize them, only to have someone tech a vehicle and say they are not legal because the color came off. The racer says "they were legal, but when the stuff I sprayed my motor with hit the springs, the paint ran or flaked off". Well, you get the picture. A controversay that can be avoided. Just my 2 cents, if anyone cares.

Drive it like Scooby stole it!

NO APOLOGIES RACING

Post subject:

Nope, we care and thats why we opened it up to discussion, while Mark and myself care for the series, it is for everyone who participates...We will let this thread run until Friday, but early indications are open springs... :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:

One final comment on this for right now...I would appreciate one of the guys who has worked with this motor to recommend to those who are not motorly-gifted a spring setup to keep them competitve....we dont want stock touring here right? ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Spilling my guts...
LHS Owner/Employee

I've done some "testing" to see what might work on this particular motor. Depending on the ACTUAL spring tension found on the spring, this setup might vary:

Trinity Silver (X-heavy) on the + side, Trinity Purple (heavy) on the - side, no spring tweaking is necessary with this much spring tension. However, this setup will work best after the brushes have broken in and have worn a little bit. You might find that a Trinity Purple spring on the + side and a Trinity Red spring on the - side might work for you, since it will produce a little less drag on the comm.

Post subject:

I'd offer "Go with OPEN SPRINGS" it will also help the "newbie" motor guru from destroying the "kit" springs trying to get more tension outta them :-P I know I almost mangled mine pretty good last year - and I [i:2rl72z19]kinda[/i:2rl72z19] know what I'm doing with a motor :-P :P :shock:

Like Jeff said, it will make teching easier since you can look "past" the springs and right at the brushes :-P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Spring \"mangling\"
LHS Owner/Employee

I can relate, K-Bo... I have three of these motors, and I have 1 set of viable springs left. The others, as you would say, were mangled (ok, BROKEN) as I tried to get the necessary tension out of them.

Post subject:

Rookie Question:
Do the springs really make that much difference with a stock motor? :-?

Post subject:

Simple Answer: YES

More Detailed Answer: By adding or removing tension you can change the Power Band of the motor very easily, in a 1/12th scale you would want a lighter spring tension since you dont need the torque but you want the RPM's and the other way in Stock, you need more torque from the motor to get the bigger / heavier car moving....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:45 pm 

hey tigeryan,

interesting topic,

i will be watching it to see what happens, as you kow jackson started a NasTruck weeknight series that is very popular, we run a little looser rules(no spec gear ratio, no spec battery)

and we kinda follow you guys (body wise) so if SJCCR come to jackson or vice versa we are not too far off

i would like to see spec brush (braided) with X spring on + side and X spring on - side making it

making it easy on tech

just my 2 cents

Chris08527
JRC